“Hack My City” | TECH HUB HACKATHON
October 7 @ 5:30 pm - October 9 @ 1:00 pm
The Tech Hub Hackathon is a weekend event where participants form teams, vet ideas, create a project, and then present their work to an expert panel of judges. Winners walk away with a combination of cash and in-kind prizes!
- First Place: $2500
- Second Place: $1500
- Third Place: $1000
This year we will back back in person!
Our theme this year is ‘Hack My City.’
Each project should address issues of faced by our local cities/counties/municipalities including, but not limited to fiscal difficulties, crowding, housing, traffic, pollution, public education, and crime. Several of these problems stem directly from the fact that cities such as those in South Florida involve large numbers of people living in a relatively small amount of space.
We aim to build a potential solution that one (or more) of our local cities can implement to support our very own communities.
Teams will consist of developers, designers, project managers and entrepreneurs, with successful teams having a mix of these areas of expertise. From newly graduated tech students to senior tech leadership – everyone in invited!
Although we are a South Florida organization, we invite folks from all across the state and even in other areas of the country to join in. Please note that in order to win and take home the prize money, you must reside in the United States.
ASL interpretation is included to ensure we are being as inclusive as possible.
- Kickoff Party & Team Forming | Friday, October 7th (5:30 – 8:30 PM)
- Register as an attendee – You can register as a team or as an individual.
- Form a team. – If you are an individual without a team, we can help you find one. Teams can be made up of up to 6 people (minimum of 2ppl). The most successful teams are made up of a mix of developers, designers, project managers, and entrepreneurs, but you can have whatever mix you like.
- Hacking Officially Begins | Saturday, October 8th (8:00 AM – 24 hour hacking)*
- Create your solution – Friday will be the Kickoff and Saturday the hacking officially begins at 8:00 AM. Teams can choose to stay overnight and hack through the night or communicate via their own forms of communication at any time throughout the night.
- Presentations, Judging & Awards | Sunday, October 9th (8:00 AM – approx. 1:00 PM)
- Submit your project. – Projects must be submitted by 9:00 AM on Sunday. All team members should be ready to present in person to the judges by 10:00 AM.
- Winners will be announced! – The judges will choose the winners with 1st, 2nd and 3rd places and announced around 1:00 PM. Winners will received both cash and in-kind prizes!
*Participants are not required to sleep over.
This year’s Hackathon will finally be held back in person after 2 years!
Florida Atlantic University’s College of Engineering and Computer Science is internationally recognized for cutting edge research and education. Research conducted by our faculty and their teams expose our students to technology innovations that push the current state-of-the-art disciplines in the areas of Computer Science, Artificial intelligence (AI), Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Civil, Environmental and Geomatics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Ocean Engineering.
FAU’s College of Engineering is one of the Top Three Fastest Progressing Colleges in the United States! Read more here.
WANT MORE INFO?
Visit our Hackathon webpage for more information on speakers, sponsors, coaches and judges. There will also be “The Rules” and “Code of Conduct” which must be read and agreed upon prior to the event date. You can also view our simple FAQ section to help get basic questions answered. Still have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
INTERESTED IN SPONSORSHIP?
Interested in getting some visibility for your company within the local tech scene? Want to support your South Florida community by giving back? Become a sponsor today! Email email@example.com for more info.